Saturday 4 August 2018

Amsterdam - Day 3

We returned to Amsterdam Central from Hilversum at about 11:00 am this morning. It was again a gloriously sunny day.

Amsterdam Central is a great place to start the day. This view caught my eye...
Amsterdam Central, coming our of it where shops are.

Two unexpected things happened before this, as they do, particularly to me:

As we were coming down some steps, I felt water on both by legs (I was wearing shorts!). A dog was following us, and I thought that it urinated on my legs while I was walking! Before I began to get angry, I saw the dog and it's owner walking very fast in front of us. Water/some liquid was still falling on my legs. I then realised that Clemencia's bottled water had burst in the rucksack I was carrying on my back. It was most annoying, but I was grateful that it wasn't a dog's urine. We dried the rucksack, I got dried up and we moved on.

As we moved on and when I wanted to take the above picture with my Canon camera, it refused to function. I had forgotten the SD card on my laptop when I was working on my last blog. To cut the story short, after half hour, we found a shop and bought an SD card at a tourist (high) price!

Andreas and Katija
While we were walking to a tram stop, I got attracted to two fold up bikes. A German couple were sitting behind the bikes. I went near the bikes, they gave me a smile, and we chatted about the bikes for few minutes. The wonderful couple, Andreas and Katja, agreed to be photograped. Katja also commented that they had bought the bikes from her brother, based in Frankfurt (I think he sells bikes!) and this would be good to be included in the blog. Here it is. Andreas and Katja, see you in Isle of Skye!

Lunch with a view!
After an hour, we reached Rembrandt House. Before going to this exclusive place to examine some exiting records, we  stopped by a Belgian restaurant and had our lunch of Veggie Burger and chrispy potato wedges garnished with coriander. Yummy! The Belgian beer was excellent and quenched our thirst. By this time, the temperature was 30degC!

We had sat outside and enjoyed the view over a canal.
About to tuck in, in our Veggie Burger, with Clemencia




Rembrandt house was wonderfully exhibited.

Here is some of his work. Unfortunately, my Canon camera didn't work without a flash. Flash photography is not allowed in the house. I had to use my Samsung smart phone.

I have not given the name of each painting or etching in here as it would take a long time in this blog. Perhaps one day, Clemencia and I will write a longer piece with background of some of Rambrandt's work we enjoyed seeing.
There is an interesting story behind this. It was worked on by R's student
etc. After a long time, it was found to be authentic!
Great story about this woman and her husband!









Bill from San Francisco




We took longer than we had planned to stay at Rembrandt House. We then went for coffee and met Bill who had just arrived in Amsterdam. We had an interesting conversation. He agreed to be photographed and included in this blog. He had taken the summer off before taking on a new job. I think everybody should do this....



After coffee, we went for a long walk by the canal. We came across a park and met Stela and her dog Doti who was cooling in the water around a monument...The heat was too much for the poor dog. When he came out of the water, he started to shake the water off, near my legs. Another funny incident via a dog :-) All positive!


Let me finish by quoting Rembrandt...

Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know.

Life etches itself on to our faces as we grow older, showing our violence, excesses or kindness.

Without atmosphere a painting is nothing.


Harish Davda
harish.davda@hotmail.co.uk
4 August 2018







4 comments:

  1. Oh oh the dogs in Holland........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are friendly. They seem to want to play...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, I seem to get into trouble sometime. It's quite funny though! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete